Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Why I love running

My coach asked me to tell her the best two races I have had, how I felt, preperation etc.. Here were my thoughts.

I consider the best two races to be the Canberra 50k and the Houston marathon


Canberra 50k 2006:

I really enjoyed this race. Previously I had run two 50k races. In 2004 I ran 50k with bugger all training and ran 4.32 and staggered the last 6k as a cripple. In May 2005 I ran the same course in 3.59.58. My lead in too the Canberra race was good. I ran lots of 3hrs runs each week and 2hrs every Wednesday. In the months previous I ran a 10k PB 0f 37.58 and a half PB of 1.24.24. I injured my groin 3 weeks before the 50k but after some intensive physio it came good. Race day was great and I had a plan to try and run about 3.40-3.45. Between 20-35kms I had what I call ‘dream running’ where it running was without effort and I felt invincible and strong. If there were photos of me running I am sure I would have had a big grin on my face. I enjoyed the run immensely and I remember chatting to a beautiful young lady as I run the last k of the marathon feeling great. I ran though in 3.06 (a PB of 9 minutes) and ran well to 45km when all the things became real tough as they should. I finished very spent but very happy.

Houston Marathon 42.2k 2007:

I has a similar build-up to Houston but not lower my 10k or half marathon times but ran a good 5k (17.06) a few weeks beforehand. This was my first big city marathon with about 10,000 marathon entrants. It was a cool and humid day but the week beforehand I felt strong and fresh and ready to go. I knew I could run under 3hrs but thought maybe a 2.55 in ideal conditions. I got caught behind a few slow people at the start running the first 2k @ 4.40pace but at the 10k mark was back on pace. I ran and chatted to a local to 21kms then ran the rest by myself over the last 21kms. Between 25-34km I once again a golden patch of running and enjoyed the support and entertainment of the course. In fact picked up the pace a fair bit in is section running 4min/k but at 37kms paid for the effort (my only regret) and finished in a happy heap in 2.57.

The two races changed not only my fitness levels but my belief in what I was capable of doing. Just writing these few paragraphs has made me realise why I love running so much. I also believe I am on the right track to write a few more paragraphs of the great runs I have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment