Monday, January 26, 2009

Bunbury 10k

Overall: very dissapointed, frustrated

Conditions: Hot, humid morning woth two laps around the Bunbury estuary ona course with a few sharp corners, a few undualtions, and a section of boardwalk where there was a few sharp bends.

The race: I warmed up for 15 minutes and felt find although my legs were a little heavy. I felt like a do normally after 2 days after a long run. Anyhow I decided in my mind that around 3.42-3.45min/k ahould be achievable and ran the first 5k at around that pace and at times had to slow myself. Then at about 5.5kms things got a messy and I slowed considerably than from there on in, it was horrible. I really had to battle which is the only thing I can be proud of in the race. I finished in 37.51 absolutley spent and my warm-down has a shuffle/walk.

Obviously I went out to fast and faded. The fact is my 10k times have not gone anywhere in 2 years and it fruatrates the hell out of me considering how much hard training I put in. All Total 13.68kms; 10k @3.48min/k; Ave HR 176, Max HR 187. Last 4kms Ave Hr 185..yikes

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you had a tough race - I did my tempo this morning in similar conditions and it got very ugly after about 15 minutes. Given your tempo pace I reckon you're well under 37 minute shape ; but not in 90% humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was sweating like crazy on a 6k run myself this morning, willing to beat the main reason for the toughness of the second half of your 10k was the humidity and heat...so keep going and when the conditions are better the results will come. Thats still an A-grade time too, and having the guts to finish today will pay off mentally later, if you persist.

    ReplyDelete